Research and Development
The Leibniz Institute of Surface Modification aims at application-oriented basic research by achieving scientific knowledge on physical and chemical mechanisms in the preparation and modification of insulating, metallic, semiconducting and polymeric surfaces and thin films by means of low-level energetic ions, electrons and plasma as well as photons (laser).
Hereby, one of the main objectives of the institute is the technology transfer of its basic knowledge on product- and procedure-oriented applications to industrial partners.
The IOM is organized into two different fields of competence.
R&D-Foci of the Physical Department
- Ultra-precision machining with ions and plasma
- Structuring and thin films analysis
- Thin film deposition and nanostructures
R&D-Foci of the Chemical Department
- Electron beam and photonic technologies
- Functional layers
- Functional nano- and microstructured systems